Friday, March 29, 2013

Faux Ferrous Forkery

Snazzy!
You know that sensation when you pick up a jar or box you think is full, but it's actually empty and nearly weightless? That's the sensation you get when you first grasp the Silver Visions 7" Heavy Weight Silver Plastic Fork. I recently encountered this specimen at a breakfast function, and, I have to say - barring the obvious safety hazard - I came away impressed!

Slightly transparent.
Plastic forks? I can hear you all screeching out there. Stop it. There is a right fork for every occasion. First of all, these are Heavy Weight, which makes all the difference, and mitigates the awkward suspension of disbelief required to use one of these inexpensive (not cheap!) dining tools.

For a no-name forkery like "Silver Visions," these are certainly not collector pieces or worthy of any consideration by flatware aficionados.
However, with the right tablecloth and subdued lighting, you can achieve a nice effect. If you don't need to impress people, these are a great choice for impromptu entertaining on a medium-to-large scale. They even have a kind of kitschy appeal.

I can't say much for their inherent quality. They are on the heavier side of plastic forks I have used, but are not the sturdiest (see here). I will repeat here my concerns about safety. A reasonable person, when confronted with a reasonably sturdy looking metal fork, will exert a certain amount of force when hoisting the implement. In the case of the faux ferrous fork, this could result in serious injury. Being interested in forks, I always pick up forks gently, so I was immune to the effects of this trickery. Others in my party were not so fortunate.

Lessons learned!



TINE ZONE RATING: C+
Construction: C
Balance: C
Grip: B
Mouth Feel: C 
Stabbiness: C

No comments:

Post a Comment